Housing Benefit - What is it and how to apply

If you are in receipt of any Government benefits or have a relatively low wage coming into your household, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit to pay some or all of the rent for you. You may even be entitled if you have savings.

If you are in doubt as to whether you would qualify – claim anyway. The worst that the Benefits Office can say is that you are not entitled to any help. You never know, you may be entitled to some help – even if it is only a small amount.

If you wish to claim Housing Benefit, telephone your local council who will put you through to the Benefits Office.

Please remember that you are responsible for your Housing Benefit claim and making it on time. If you are issued with a form, return it to the council as soon as you can as Housing Benefit is rarely backdated. If you are waiting for information to put with your application such as wage slips, send these on at a later date – just to get your form in to the Benefits Office and always ask for a receipt from the Council that they have received your form and on what date. This can prove invaluable if the form ever gets mislaid.

It must also be pointed out that you are also responsible for the following :

  • You must inform the Housing Benefit Office of any changes to your circumstances or changes in your income – these may have an effect on the amount of benefit paid towards your rent.
  • You must renew your claim every time the Benefit Office sends you a new form. Failure to do so may result in the cancelation of your benefit.
  • You are still liable for any parts of your rent not covered by Housing Benefit – for example heating costs.
  • You have to pay any part of your rent that is not paid by Housing Benefit and make up any shortfall as a result of an overpayment of Benefit being recovered from you. You will always be advised by the Benefits Office and this Association if there is a shortfall and hence what you should be paying.
  • If your Housing Benefit is ever cancelled, for whatever reason, you are liable to pay the full rent due in respect of your home.

Related Links

Paying Your Rent

Request Replacement Allpay Card

Request a Bank Standing Order Form

Request a Rent Statement